We’ve received the info from our Freedom Of Information request to West Yorkshire Police regarding motorcycle theft in Leeds and Bradford and it makes for unsettling reading. There are two files in the request: this FOI Covering Letter and these FOI details. We’ve analyzed it and found the following points:
- Motorcycle thefts in the 12 months was – 1003
- Total motorcycle NOT recovered – 554 (55.23% of stolen bikes are never recovered)
- If your bike is stolen, you’ve less than 45% chance of seeing it again!
- Below are a few statistics taken from the West Yorkshire Police figures
- Out of the total number of thefts 103 investigations are “ongoing” (10.26% are still being investigated)
- Out of the total number of thefts 26 resulted in a charge or summons (2.59% were prosecuted)
- Out of the total number of thefts 5 resulted in a caution (0.49% received an adult or youth caution)
- Out of the total number of thefts 1 received a community resolution (0.099%)
- The rest of the thefts, 868 were classed as Investigation complete or Evidential difficulties/No suspect ID – 86.54% of thefts of motorcycles in Leeds and Bradford have had the case closed and no one will ever be charged
Abridged and printed versions will be available at the meeting at the Royal tomorrow, where we have a crime reduction officer in attendance. We’d like as many bikers as possible to come along at 8 pm prompt, whether MAG members or not, as this affects all of us. Hope to see you all tomorrow evening.
Happy new year to everyone,
This coming Tuesday (6th) is our first meeting of 2015 @ The Royal Hotel, Pudsey (LS28 8PR) from 8pm.
We’ve got plenty of things to chat about and the Demo ride to start planning, so why not start the year by coming along and joining in with your local group – without the members involvement there is no group! Tuesday 20th Jan is the Leeds MAG AGM @ The Royal, Pudsey – all positions are up for re election (Leeds MAG Roles On The Committee).
If you’d like to get more involved with the running of Leeds MAG put yourself forward – you’ll be made more than welcome.
We now have tickets for our “Evening with Austin Vince” event on sale. They’re available from Squires Cafe, Leeds MAG meetings or on our website using paypal (oooooo get us getting all posh). For anyone that hasn’t heard of Austin Vince, he did the longest land route (44,000 miles)around the world in the shortest possible time with 6 mates, with no backup, financial support, sat nav etc. and was one of the inspirations for Ewan and Charlie’s Long Way Round trip. For anyone who hasn’t seen one of his talks, you’re in for a treat and we can potentially raise good money for MAG, so your support is needed – at £7.50 its a bargain night out.
The upcoming events list is filling up nicely – again, your support is needed to make all our events a success. Here’s hoping that 2015 brings plenty of dry roads and good riding.
Tuesday the 2nd is the first Leeds MAG meeting in December @ The Royal (LS28 8PR) from 8pm.
CLick here for the LEEDS MAG EVENTS LIST. We’ve got a couple of new fundraisers organised.
We’re doing a “bargain hunt” challenge on the 8th of February 2015 and also the first of our seasonal parties on the 21st March 2015, so your support on these events is needed to make them a success.
Hope you can make the meeting and the events we’ve got planned.