Leeds Crime Stats and 6th Sept Meeting
We’ve received the info from our Freedom Of Information request to West Yorkshire Police regarding motorcycle theft in Leeds and Bradford and it makes for unsettling reading. There are two files in the request: this FOI Covering Letter and these FOI details. We’ve analyzed it and found the following points:
- Motorcycle thefts in the 12 months was – 1003
- Total motorcycle NOT recovered – 554 (55.23% of stolen bikes are never recovered)
- If your bike is stolen, you’ve less than 45% chance of seeing it again!
- Below are a few statistics taken from the West Yorkshire Police figures
- Out of the total number of thefts 103 investigations are “ongoing” (10.26% are still being investigated)
- Out of the total number of thefts 26 resulted in a charge or summons (2.59% were prosecuted)
- Out of the total number of thefts 5 resulted in a caution (0.49% received an adult or youth caution)
- Out of the total number of thefts 1 received a community resolution (0.099%)
- The rest of the thefts, 868 were classed as Investigation complete or Evidential difficulties/No suspect ID – 86.54% of thefts of motorcycles in Leeds and Bradford have had the case closed and no one will ever be charged
Abridged and printed versions will be available at the meeting at the Royal tomorrow, where we have a crime reduction officer in attendance. We’d like as many bikers as possible to come along at 8 pm prompt, whether MAG members or not, as this affects all of us. Hope to see you all tomorrow evening.